THE CRAZY LIFE AND FUN TIMES OF TWO DOLL COLLECTORS


GOING ON A DOLL HUNT

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Five Days and Counting!



Are you ready to doll shop?
We are so excited for the doll sale this week and  hope you are too!
We have been hard at work getting everything packed and ready for the sale. And wow, is there going to be a lot of great stuff!
Mrs. M and I agree that we will need to have another doll sale in Oct., 2010 because we keep finding more good dolls and vintage toys that will need to find a new home.

Today I want to highlight composition dolls. Almost every doll collector I have met along the way has a least one composition doll in their collection.
Some love the lady dolls, some baby dolls, some big dolls, and some the little dolls. The great thing in this day and time is it is possible to find a compo or two or three or..... to fit into your collection.
The doll pictured at the top of this post is a little Vogue composition Toodles. Isn't she darling?! She is all original and in her original box and from the 1940's. She is a tiny 7 1/2 inches tall. She is waiting excitedly to meet her new mommy or daddy.

Now for the story of my first composition doll.
I had only been collecting a short time when I went shopping at the Nashville Flea Market. I walked slowly up and down browsing every vendor hoping I would find a nice old doll. I walked into one booth and looked around. The guy had tables and tables of old tools, rusty keys, and man junk. It was definitely not a place to find a doll.
As I turned to go the guy asked me what I was looking for. I said, "Dolls." with a smile.
He pointed to the back of his junk booth and said, "I've got an ugly one back there. But I can't imagine why anyone would want her."
Amidst the rust and junk lay a big composition girl with a brown human hair wig in braids, dressed in a brown and white home made dress.
When I picked her up she was heavy. I moved her legs and her head turned. She was a big walker!
The guy said "$40 and she is yours."
I practically threw the money at him, tucked her under my arm and ran for the car. I was beside myself with excitement that I now owned a real composition doll.
On the way to the car two ladies approached me and asked how much I got her for. When I told them they looked at each other, said that was a good deal, and then asked me if they could buy her.
Of course I said no, now even more excited someone else wanted her too.
Later when I owned many more dolls and had learned the doll ropes I realized she had been badly restored. Her body, arms, and legs look like they had been roughly spackled with wood putty. Is she worth a lot of money? No, but that is okay.
She will always live in my collection. Not because she is a wonderful and rare doll, which she isn't, but because she was my first compo and has a special place in my heart.
She still wears her ugly brown home made dress.


When you stop by our doll sale take a few minutes to check out all the composition dolls. We will have composition dolls for every taste and collection.
It does not matter if you have only a few dollars to spend or have a pocketbook full. You will be able to find that special composition doll just for you.




See you soon!
Mama Duff and Mrs. M

No comments:

Post a Comment